Best Photography Backdrops
Continue reading to learn more about several of the best photography backdrops available.
Including a photography backdrop (or several) in your kit is an easy way to improve the professional quality of your photographs. They are essential tools for portrait and product photographers in the studio, but they can also be extremely useful for videographers and other content creators.
Our Top 3 Best Photography Backdrops
1. Savage Seamless Backdrop Paper
- Made in the USA
- Savage Seamless Background Paper is the industry standard for producing smooth, even backgrounds for photo and video use
- Professional quality, non-reflective surface available in an array of vibrant colors and sizes
It’s available in variety of sizes and colors, making it one of the most flexible and reliable ways to get a tidy photography backdrop no matter what you’re shooting.
- The industry standard for creating a smooth appearance.
- Thick paper that is 100% recyclable
- The surface is non-reflective and offers a wide range of colors.
What We Like:
- Create a seamless backdrop with ease.
- There are 55 different colors to choose from.
- Sizes range from small to large.
What We Don’t Like:
- Tall ceilings are required for storage.
- Larger rolls are difficult to set up when working alone.
Savage Seamless Paper is an essential tool for all levels of photographers and videographers, as well as a studio staple. This industry standard is made of thick, non-reflective paper and is suitable for a wide range of shoots. It comes in 55 bright colors and is completely recyclable. It also comes in a variety of sizes, making it one of the finest backdrops for all types of photographers and subjects.
Plus, when you’re finished shooting, you simply cut the bottom section of the paper and re-roll it. So you won’t have to waste time straightening or steaming out bumps and wrinkles before your next shoot.
2. Lastolite EzyFrame Vintage Background Kit
- EzyFrame Vintage Backround Cover (Smoke) - Background Frame - Carrying Case - Lastolite 6 Month Limited Warranty (Extendable to 8 Year with Registration)
- Rapid Assembly Aluminum Frame
- Clip on Smoke Cover
It’s an excellent option for bringing on location, has a sophisticated appearance, and is simple to set up when working alone.
- Aluminum frame for quick assembly
- Muslin backdrop clipped on
- It includes a carrying case.
What We Like:
- Excellent for travel
- Simple to set up
- Excellent for portraits or small groups.
What We Don’t Like:
- Color options are limited.
This combo kit and frame make it simple to create a stunning, professional-looking backdrop wherever your shoot takes you. Despite its high price, the frame is simple to assemble and has a long lifespan. Furthermore, the muslin backdrop clips are on, reducing the time it will take you to get everything ready for your shoot.
The backdrop itself is available in only four colors: tobacco, olive, smoke, and concrete. But we don’t see why you couldn’t attach a wide range of fabrics to the frame with a few handy straps to increase the kit’s versatility.
3. Amazon Basics Portable Foldable Photo Studio Box
- No assembly required with set-up in less than a minute; Collapses into a thin, portable, and durable portfolio case.
- Measures 25'' x 30'' x 25'' to fit a variety of product sizes; Includes power supply, user manual, and pre-installed removable bright-white backdrop.
- High output built-in LED lights for handheld photography with a camera or smartphone. Lights are positioned for optimum contrast, and provide 5600k daylight balanced LEDs with high Color Rendering Index (CRI) for consistent color. An extra light provides directional light modelling like in a photo studio, giving better highlights, contrast, and shape to product images.
The Portable Foldable Studio Box is an excellent, low-cost option for achieving a seamless look in small product photography.
- The design is collapsible.
- The front three-door design reduces reflections.
- It has built-in LED lights.
What We Like:
- Excellent for product photography
- Small setup for tight quarters
- It’s ideal for smartphone photography.
What We Don’t Like:
- Larger items have limited functionality.
This tabletop lightbox is perfect for product photography or small still lifes. When opened, it measures 25″ x 30″ x 25″ but folds into a flat portfolio case when not in use. It comes with a power supply, a white backdrop, and built-in 5600K daylight-balanced LED lights. The setup makes it simple to photograph your products professionally, even if you only have a smartphone.
The front 3-door system will increase the number of shooting angles while decreasing outside reflections. Furthermore, this model is compatible with the Amazon Seller app, making it simple to shoot, edit, and upload photos directly to Amazon.
4. Kate Collapsible Backdrop Pop-up
- 1:Contents: 1x folding background, 1x storage bag
- 2:Material:Microfiber. no light reflection and easy to keep clean.
- 3:Convenience:The spring loop folding design,convenient for storage and transportation
This inexpensive pop-up backdrop functions as an oversized reflector and is an excellent choice for a mobile headshop or children’s photographer.
- Foldable style
- Color combinations that are two in one
- Microfiber fabric
What We Like:
- Simple to assemble and transport
- Useful for headshots or as a zoom background.
- It is safe to iron.
What We Don’t Like:
- It has a tendency to wrinkle.
This double-sided pop-up backdrop works in the same way as a 5-in-1 photo reflector. It’s made of microfiber and can be ironed if it gets wrinkled. Each backdrop comes in two colorways for a variety of looks and measures 56.5 feet when unfolded, making it an excellent choice for shooting adult headshots or portraits of children.
While shooting, three hook and loop fasteners make it simple to attach to a backdrop or light stand. If you’re only shooting one person at a time, it’s a low-cost, compact option that looks great.
5. Julius Studio 9 x 13 Ft. Photo Studio Chromakey Background Muslin Backdrop Bundle Kit
- ⭐ [1 x] Black Photo Background Muslin, [1 x] White Photo Background Muslin, [1 x] Green Chromakey Photo Background Muslin
- ⭐ Size: 9 x 13 FT. Lightweight fabric.
- ⭐ Pre-stitched Loop to Hang on the Crossbar. Reflective and None Gloss surface.
This low-cost backdrop bundle is ideal for the beginner photographer who is just starting out.
- Muslin structure
- 9 x 13 feet in size
- Pre-stitched loop for hanging from the backdrop crossbar
What We Like:
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Washable by machine
- The rod pocket makes it simple to hang.
What We Don’t Like:
- Prone to wrinkling
- The dimensions of rod pockets vary.
This low-cost backdrop bundle includes three cloth backdrops in popular colors such as white, black, and chroma key (which you can utilize for shooting greenscreen). They’re machine washable and have a rod pocket for hanging from a crossbar stand. They are also extremely portable due to their cloth construction.
Although this is a cost-effective option, this type of cloth backdrop is prone to wrinkling, so have an iron or steamer on hand to straighten things out before your shoot. Furthermore, according to some user reviews, the rod pocket sizes differ, resulting in conﬂict with some backdrop stands. However, if you’re looking to save money, the price is unbeatable.
What Is the Purpose of Photography Backdrops?
There are numerous advantages to using a backdrop for photography. Examples include:
- Distractions can be eliminated.
- You can make the most of the image.
- The subject can be complemented and focused on.
- You may be permitted to fully express your creativity.
Famous photographers frequently keep a collection of various photography backdrops that can be used for different types of photography. The photography backdrops listed in this article are among the best high-quality photography backdrops that you should own if you want to take amazing photos.
Things To Think About Before Purchasing The Best Photography Backdrops
Before buying a backdrop for your photography or videography project, the most important factor to consider is the project’s requirements. Because it works so well for so many different scenarios and photographers, the flexible, seamless paper is our general choice for a photography backdrop. Despite the fact that larger rolls of seamless are more challenging to transport, they remain the best tool for working in the location or in the studio.
High-quality fabric backdrops are more expensive, but they last a lifetime. Going with a more expensive fabric backdrop may be a better option if you are a portrait photographer practicing a specific style or working on a project that needs a level of consistency from image to image.
The final factor to consider is the size of the backdrop. When photographing large groups of people, a larger backdrop is required than when photographing headshots, children’s portraits, products, or still lifes photography.
The best backdrop for you ultimately depends on where you’re shooting, what you’re shooting, and your personal choices as a photographer. Depending on the shoot, it’s not uncommon for professionals to have a few distinct backdrop options on hand.
What Size Is Ideal For A Photography Backdrop?
The best size for a photography backdrop is determined by the type of photos you intend to shoot as well as the amount of available space. If you’re shooting small products or have limited space, a 3′ x 5′ size will suffice; if you’re photographing larger items, start with a larger one.
A 5′ x 7′ size is ideal for portrait photography with a single model because it can be used both standing and sitting. If your model is tall, however, there might not be sufficient material to cover their entire height.
As a result, we recommend ordering a size larger than you think you need. If you’re shooting family or group portraits, choose a larger size, such as an 8′ x 12′, and an 8′ x 8′ for hanging portraits and fashion photography with tall models.
How Do You Make a Low-Cost Photo Backdrop?
If you don’t have the funds to purchase one of the recommended products, you can make your own DIY photography backdrop. Despite the abundance of inexpensive options, you might prefer to create your own for a particular project or because you only need it once. You’ve probably seen YouTubers use a white blanket as a backdrop, but here are some alternative suggestions:
- Make use of your current drapes or roll-down blinds. To remove crinkles or folds, clamp or tape the drapes flat.
- Purchase and hang a 5′ x 8′ length of non-reflective fabric.
- Tape a large roll of non-reflective craft paper to the wall.
- For portrait or product photography, paint a floor a flat color or with a texture or pattern.
- Hang fluffy blankets from curtain rails or clamp them to the top of a doorframe.
- Purchase big sheets of craft cards in plain colors for smaller product shots.
- Consider buying ready-made timber benchtops for product shots and headshots.
- Purchase large-sized tiles in a variety of finishes and textures for product shots.
- Make a feature out of plastic plants threaded through a lattice frame.
- As a minimalistic option, use existing concrete walls.
- For a portrait backdrop, create a living plant feature out of potted house plants.
- To support your background, make inexpensive stands out of PVC pipe.
- Don’t forget to think about props and accessories to help fill out a scene.
Backdrops are a simple way to improve the look of your photography by making your subject stand out. They also remove disturbing background elements that may be present when shooting outside. The best backdrop for you depends on what you’re shooting, where you’re shooting, and how you want the finished product to look. When it comes to backdrops, the cheapest option isn’t always the best.
FAQs on the Best Photography Backdrops
What backdrops do professionals use?
Professional photographers will frequently use a variety of backdrops depending on the needs of the photo shoot. Most photographers keep a wide range of seamless paper in various colors and sizes on hand. It’s a common fixture in many studios and is frequently used when shooting products or persons. Professionals may carry in hand-painted backdrops and specially made fabrics or hire a props person who will assist them in building out a set for shooting in front of more editorial-minded shoots.
What material should a backdrop be?
Most professional backdrops are made of fabric or vinyl, and each material has its own storage and care requirements, as well as the aesthetic benefits it brings to your photography. Vinyl backdrops are more opaque than fabric, resulting in more vibrant colors in your photos.
What is the ideal backdrop size?
9′ x 10′ Backdrop: Because of its flexibility for shooting full-length portraits, family portraits, and larger product shots, most professional studios have a 9′ wide by 10′ long backdrop.